A Heroine for Our Times

18 Jul

Kenon Neal

This week, a champion of courage left this world to enter an eternal life of Perfect Peace.

We met in a Moms in Touch prayer group five years ago. The radiant smile I encountered on that September morning is forever emblazoned in my mind’s eye. At the time, I was unaware of her decades long battles with cancer.  She always put love before her own struggles.

This noble, faithful woman, along with the other members of the moms group helped me to heal from a very painful period in my family’s history.

And in the past few months, her inspirational journal entries on Caring Bridge injected doses of determination during another extremely challenging chapter in our lives.  As I read her words, my heart would swell with both sadness for struggles and immense admiration for her bravery in the face of multitudinous medical procedures and a terminal diagnosis.

In the world of cancer, “Stage 4” is typically known as the phase of “distant spread” of cancer cells throughout the body.

For this heroine, it was the period of her life when her tremendous valor spread far and wide and transformed greater and greater numbers of people.

Although we were never close friends, she gave me the gift of a role model of faith and fortitude and helped to give me the strength to persevere.

She didn’t know it at the time.

I am sure she knows it now, as in the words of Matt Redman, she “sings His praises, ten-thousand years and forever more.”

This “heroine for our times” will live forever in our hearts and minds as an otherworldly example of what cancer and other formidable challenges cannot do.

What Cancer Cannot Do

Cancer is so limited…
It cannot cripple love.
It cannot shatter hope.
It cannot corrode faith.
It cannot eat away peace.
It cannot destroy confidence.
It cannot kill friendship.
It cannot shut out memories.
It cannot silence courage.
It cannot reduce eternal life.
It cannot quench the Spirit.

~Author Unknown

May she rest in His Peace,

Cate Pane

Note:  This amazing woman leaves behind a beloved family:  her husband, two sons and a daughter.  Please keep them in prayer.

23 Responses to “A Heroine for Our Times”

1. TK July 18, 2014 at 10:07 am #

A beautiful testament to your friend. I love that poem.

• Cate Pane: The Clear Parent July 19, 2014 at 9:55 am #

Thank you so very much, TK. She was quite a woman! My mother loved that poem when she was dying of cancer. It says it all. Best, Cate

2. Zachary @zacharykreid July 18, 2014 at 11:37 am #

Very touching piece. I’m sorry for your (and the world’s) loss. I’m sure she, as well as her family and friends, appreciate the love and kindness you have for her. Thank you for sharing.

3. Sasha July 18, 2014 at 11:37 am #

My friend recently died of terminal cancer. Your words spoke depths.

• Cate Pane: The Clear Parent July 19, 2014 at 9:57 am #

Sasha, so very sorry for the loss of your friend. I am grateful if my words helped you in your time of grieving. With sympathy, Cate

• Sasha July 19, 2014 at 10:31 am #

Thank you.

4. Bronwyn Joy @ Journeys Of The Fabulist July 18, 2014 at 8:05 pm #

I’m sorry for the loss of your friend. But the poem at the end seems very apt – her legacy seems already to be living in you.

• Cate Pane: The Clear Parent July 19, 2014 at 10:00 am #

Thank you, Bronwyn. This poem had provided solace to my mom and me around the time of my mom’s passing. Kenon penned it in her journal before she passed. As I was writing this post, I was thinking the same about the last line. Best, Cate

5. threeboysandamom July 18, 2014 at 9:41 pm #

I’m so sorry for your loss. Your words to her are beautiful and the poem at the end is so true. Cancer is absolutely awful and I’m so sorry for her suffering, and yours, but thank you for sharing a piece of her life with us and what she meant to you.

• Cate Pane: The Clear Parent July 19, 2014 at 10:03 am #

Thank you. It is so very difficult to see people suffer with cancer. The poem does provide comfort. She leaves behind an amazing husband and three beautiful children. She was a “Clear Parent,” if there ever was one! Best, Cate

6. atimetoshare July 19, 2014 at 4:15 am #

What a lovely tribute for your friend.

• Cate Pane: The Clear Parent July 19, 2014 at 10:03 am #

Thank you. Please pray for her husband and three children during this very difficult time. Blessings, Cate

• atimetoshare July 19, 2014 at 10:07 am #

I certainly will. What a tragedy, but even in this there is a reason.

• Cate Pane: The Clear Parent July 19, 2014 at 10:30 am #

I thank you on behalf of her beloved family. Cate

7. One Gentleman July 19, 2014 at 10:35 am #

The impact we leave on others, can sometimes be completely foreign to us. Sometimes it is the words we say and other times, the words we refuse to utter. Sometimes it is an action and other times, it’s the decision we make in a situation where we do not act. Regardless of what it is, there is always a life we influence; sometimes positively and sometimes negatively. When you encounter the former, we should always honor them. Great ode to a dearly departed friend

8. Abirami July 22, 2014 at 6:28 am #

This is a beautiful poem. :) May her soul rest in peace. She sounds like one helluva person.

9. Jackie Saulmon Ramirez August 5, 2014 at 7:58 am #

Cancer is the dreaded word we all fear. Thank you for this.