Model Kindness for Your Children

21 Jul

onekindword

When we speak of kindness to our children, our actions have the greatest impact.  In previous posts, I’ve mentioned that my kids are my greatest critics on this subject.  A week ago, my younger son “nailed” the evening of his birthday celebration at a restaurant.  I commented that I thought it was so very sad that a mother was spending her dinner time reviewing flashcards with her 2 preschoolers.

As we made our way to the parking lot after a wonderful birthday celebration, Michael mentioned that he didn’t think it was right for me to criticize the woman with the flashcards.

He was right.  It was none of my business.  We are all entitled to raise our kids the way we choose.

Lesson learned.

Again.

Happy Monday,

Cate Pane

15 Responses to “Model Kindness for Your Children”

1. atimetoshare July 21, 2014 at 3:52 pm #

Sometimes great wisdom comes from the mouths of our children. It proves you’re doing a good job.

• Cate Pane: The Clear Parent July 21, 2014 at 4:33 pm #

Thank you. I’m always learning! Best, Cate

• atimetoshare July 21, 2014 at 6:07 pm #

Me too? Blessings to you!

2. April July 21, 2014 at 3:59 pm #

Lol! Kids and their honesty always putting us in our place ;)

3. Less to More July 21, 2014 at 4:02 pm #

Somehow the lesson has a greater impact on my heart when it comes from the very ones I’m trying to teach. It’s humbling to know how much more I have to learn. Happy Monday to you too!

4. One Gentleman July 21, 2014 at 4:28 pm #

This young boy is something else. This is why I love children. They see things even we sometimes refuse to acknowledge. Wonderful post. I just learned about the existence of a Russian city last month, all from my 7-year-old niece. We can learn from children, just as much as we do from adults.

5. Sasha July 21, 2014 at 6:31 pm #

Wow, what a boy of wisdom you are raising!

6. mewhoami July 21, 2014 at 8:45 pm #

Kids can have so much wisdom can’t they? Great lesson to learn. A good lesson for us all.

7. Abirami July 22, 2014 at 6:21 am #

Sometimes I wonder if it’s just Co incidence or do they really understand life better than adults. Perhaps it’s the simplicity in their train of thought that makes their choices and values more spot on! Anyway, happy blogging. :) this is a nice post.

• Cate Pane: The Clear Parent July 22, 2014 at 2:58 pm #

I do think they are able to see things without being distracted by all of the “noise.” Thank you for the feedback! Best, Cate